ST. THOMAS SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL, KATTANAM
|Sl.no.||House||House Masters||Captains (Boys)||Captains (Girls)|
|1.||Blue||Mrs.Sreekala P R||Vishnugeeth(XI)||Anjali Anil(X)|
|3.||Red||Mrs.Pushpa S Nair||Abhijith S(XI)||Aswini A(IX)|
|4.||Yellow||Mrs.SmithaSreedhar||Anandu S(XI)||Sneha Anna George(IX)|
• DISA 2019
In order to enrich and empower teachers, an Orientation Programme was conducted during May 2019 with the following resource persons:
Mrs.InduDutt - District Coordinator of CBSE, Principal, S. D. V. E. M. H. S. School, Alappuzha
Rev. Sam Lukose -Counsellor
Mr. Suresh Kumar - Principal SreeSankara Central School , Cherthala
Mrs.HemaK - Principal, KendriyaVidyalaya, NTPC, Kayamkulam.
Mrs.Raji B Nair- Teacher, KendriyaVidyalaya, NTPC, Kayamkulam
Mrs. G Lavanya- Educational Consultant
• Hubs of Learning
As per CBSE norms, the Hub of Learning (HOL) is intended to enhance the school curriculum in and around schools through a cluster format. The 5 schools which comprise our HOL, with the Principals and teachers being contributors and effective practitioners, enabling efficient teaching and learning are:
• S. N. Vidyapeedom, Kotta
• Thanveer Central School, Oachira
• Sreedevi Central School, Aravukad
• Al-Ameen Central School, Kakkazhom
• M. G. M. Central School, Karuvatta
Our school hosted training programmes for teachers on Art Integrated Learning by Sri Sahadevan, the lead collaborator and Principal S N Vidhyapeedom, Kotta on 24 September 2019 under the auspices of HOL.
STEMS Expo was conducted in our school under the auspices of the HOL on 22 November 2019. Three schools – S. N. Vidyapeedom, Kotta, Sreedevi E. M. School, Aravukad and Thanveer Central School, Oachira – participated in the same.
Teacher’s Participation/ Capacity Building Programmes
• The Principal, Dr.LisyCherian, attended the following meetings:
The first meeting of HOL at S N Vidyapeedom , Kotta on 29 July 2019.
Meeting of the management association of CBSE schools at Holy Trinity School, Kayamkulam on 06 August 2019.
Principals’ Meeting in association with Alappuzha Sahodaya at LEO XIII Public School, Alappuzha on 26 August 19.
Meeting of the CBSE Management Association on 10th October, 2019 at Holy Trinity School, Karthikapally.
• Mr Sajeev M attended the workshop on E-Management under the INSPIRE Award Scheme of DST, Govt. of Kerala on 12 July 2019 at Govt. Teachers’ Training Institute, Mavelikara.
• Mrs.Bincy Vincent and Miss. Sherin Jacob participated in the one-day seminar of SEED on 20 July 2019.
• Mr Gokul R attended KHELO India fitness programme under the Prime Minister’s Fit India Movement programme held on 31 August 2019 at Mount Bhethany School, Kumbazha.
• Mrs. Maya R participated in a meeting based on the theme "Carbon Neutral Kerala" held at Leo XIII School, Alappuzha on 30 September 2019.
• Mrs.Jaisy Thomas & Mrs Seena attended a meeting conducted in association with Alappuzha Sahodayaat V N S S School, Kanaichakulangara on 16 October 2019.
• Mrs.Viji B Pillai and Mrs.Sreelatha M. attended a workshop for pre -primary teachers
on 26 November 2019 at Chengannur
• Mrs.Sreekala P R, Mrs.Sreedevi S and Mrs.Suni C S participated in the Teacher Training Programme on Experiential Learning on 21November 2019 at MGM School, Karuvatta in association with HOL.
• Mrs.Jubiya Jacob and Mrs.SanthaShibu attended a Nursery Teachers Training workshop on Speaking Skills at Adoor on 7 December 2019.
CBSE Examination Results
The school obtained a pass percentage of 100% in the CBSE Board Examination for Classes X and XII. In Class X, out of 56 students, 39 students obtained Distinction and 11 students secured First Class. In Class XII, out of 22 students, 9 got Distinction and 12 students obtained First Class.
A Pedagogical Plan was prepared and the report was submitted to the CBSE on 30 September, 2019.
The School received Fit India School Certification from the Ministry of Youth Affairs, Govt. of India.
House-wise and class-wise assemblies were held on all Wednesdays and Fridays respectively. Class meetings / Kuttikootam, based on special themes were arranged on all Mondays in the morning. Class-wise cluster meetings were held on all fourth Mondays. In the K G section, class-wise assemblies were conducted on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Value Education Class
Value education for all classes is conducted on Thursdays, and a structured syllabus approved by the Academic Committee is followed.
In order to enhance their knowledge of science, Expert Classes were conducted by eminent faculty for students of Class X and XII. Prof. Benny V George and Prof. Thomas George served as resource persons.
Rev. Sam Lukose and Mr. Basil George served as students’ counsellors this year.
Educational Tour and Picnic
Educational tours were conducted successfully this year for students from KG to Class XII, section-wise as part of the teaching-learning process.
LEVEL DESTINATION DATE
1. K G Green Valley, Adoor 29-10- 2019
2. Class I-VII Wonderla 7-11-2019
3. Class IX-XII Mysore 7-11-2019 to
Activities of Clubs
Each student has the opportunity to take membership in any three clubs of their choice - Science , Health , Social Science , Mathematics , Literary , IT , Arts and Sports, Balajanasakhyam and Nallapadam, being some of them. Various competitions, celebrations and activities were conducted under the auspices of these clubs to enrich their artistic talents, promote innovation and to develop a rational outlook among youngsters.
Our School Band made the important school celebrations colourful through their performance under the guidance of the trainer.
To enhance students’ competence in English and current affairs, ‘The Hindu’ Children’s Education Newspaper was introduced in Classes VI to XII and ‘Young World’ in classes I to V. Activities based on the materials provided were initiated by teachers of the department of English.
Class-wise radio programmes were arranged on all Tuesdays and Thursdays in a systematic manner during lunch break. Students from each division conducted radio programmes exhibiting their innovative and artistic talents in a creative manner.
To develop a sense of social commitment among students and to instill in them the spirit of charity, love and compassion, students are encouraged to engage in activities for the welfare of the less privileged. Our students donate a small amount for charity on their birthdays and it is used to help needy children in and around the locality. This year the amount was used for the treatment of two children.
Under the auspices of the Nallapadom Club, grocery kits were distributed to 10 needy families during Onam.
Vidhyarambham, held on 8 October 2019, was inaugurated by Sri Karthika Kattanam, Vice Chairman of the Cartoon Academy and winner of the National Teachers Award. Toddlers and children were introduced to the world of letters by Rev .Sam T. Panicker and Rev. Rex Thomas Thomas.
Silver Jubilee Celebrations
The Silver Jubilee Celebrations of our school was inaugurated on 20 September 2019 by the eminent social worker, Sister Dayabai. The Patron of the School and Adoor Diocesan Bishop, Rt. Rev. Dr. Abraham Mar PauloseEpiscopa presided over the meeting. Dignitaries including Mr. Somanath, Director, VSSC, Thumpa, Honorable MPs Adv. A. M Ariff and Sri.Kodikkunnil Suresh, Prof. V. Vasudevan (President, BharanikavuGramaPanchayat), and Smt. KunjumolReji (Vice-President, BharanikavuGramaPanchayat), felicitated the function. Various projects giving emphasis to charity were announced as part of the Silver Jubilee Year activities. The Silver Jubilee Song composed and tuned by a member of our faculty, Sri Baiju M Anand, was sung and an edited version of the logo designed by our student, Master Vachan S Paniker, was released.
To provide a grand opening to the Jubilee celebrations, a press meet and a ‘VilambaraJadha’ were also conducted on 17 and 18 September 2019 respectively.
STEMS EXPO 2019
As part of the Silver jubilee Celebrations, an Arts and Science exhibition was held on 22 November 2019 in association with the Hub Of Learning (HOL). It was inaugurated by Sri Rafi Ramanadh, State Coordinator of Green Vein and teacher at V. V. H. S. School, Charummod. Various collections and working models designed by students were exhibited under the guidance of various clubs, the Kids Section etc. Three schools under HOL also participated in the Expo, making it a grand success.
Parent Teacher Association
The PTA General Body meeting of the year 2019-20 was conducted on 12July 2019 and new PTA executive members for the current academic year were elected. Mr. P M Johnson was elected as the PTA president and Mrs.Rejani Varghese and Mrs.Soumya K as Vice Presidents. Two PTA executive meetings have been held till date (27/08/2019 and 18/12/2019). A total of 3 class open-houses were conducted and academic issues were discussed in a systematic way. An Orientation Programme was conducted on 12 December 2019 for parents of class X and XII students by Sri Basil George. We express our sincere gratitude to the PTA executive body for the support and guidance received in the successful completion of all activities in the School.
Students’ Achievements/ Participation
• Two teams participated in the ‘Big Q’ Quiz competition held in association with MalayalaManorama on 19November 2019
Team 1 : Dona Grace David IX A
Kevin Varghese IX A
Team 2 :Aiswarya A G XII
Jenny Maria Johnson XI
• Aiswarya A G and ArjunSaju of class XII participated in the seminar competition held at S. N. School, Kotta in association with HOL on 25-10-2019 and won the Ist prize.
• Out of the 5 students from class VI to IX registered for INSPIRE Award Scheme of DST, Govt of Kerala, Master Niranjan G of Class VI B was selected for the district level competition on 23/12/19 and from their got selected for the state level competition on 18 January 2020.
• GadhaGireesh of Class VIII A successfully completed the first level of the philately scholarship “DeenDayalSparshYojana” and appeared for Level 2.
• 13 students participated in the painting competition conducted by Indian Postal Service on 26-10-2019.
• 56 students visited ‘Shankar’s Museum of Art’ on 27-11-2019 and observed the paintings of 23 artists of ‘Saga’ under the leadership of the Arts Club.
• Navami S. Nair of Std VII A got First Prize in the state-level children’s drawing competition, “Mazhavillu”, on 01-12-2019.
• Three students from the Kids’ Section participated in the Sahodaya Kids’ Fest at Matha Senior Secondary School, Thumpolly.
• This year, 98 students participated in the Alappuzha Sahodaya competitions on 16, 20 and 30 November 2019 at Matha Senior Secondary School, Thumboli and SN central School, Mavelikara .We bagged one first prize and three third prizes. The school obtained the 13th position among the Sahodaya schools.
• 36 student participated in the Youth Festival conducted by the Management Association on 18 and 19 October 2019 at St.Gregorious Public School, Chengannur and Thapovan Public School, Adoor. We bagged five first prizes, eleven second prizes and nine third prizes.
• 4 students from class IX A attended the Counselling Seminar on 20 January 2020 conducted by Presbyterian Foundation at Grace Counselling Centre, Kayamkulam.
• 58 students participated in the state level Yoga competition conducted by Manapuram Yoga Centre &Shivananda International School of yoga at Mukundapuram Public School, Iringalakuda.
• Sugama Hindi Examination was held on 2 November, 2019 for Classes III to VII. 167 students wrote the exam.
• NCES scholarship exam by KINFER was conducted on 7 December, 2019. 692 students from KG to Class X participated.
• Our football team participated in the state-level CBSE Cluster Football Meet on 16 August 2019 at Chalakudy and Cherupushpa Trophy Tournament at the regional level on 14, 15 and16 November 2019.
• KHELO India Fitness Programme under the Prime Minister’s Fit India Movement Programme is conducted under the guidance of Physical Education teachers.
• Our School has been declared as a Fit India School by the Ministry of Youth Affairs, Govt. of India.
• Sports Day was conducted on 28 November 2019. Gp. Capt. C S Sanal Kumar, Rtd. Air Force Officer inaugurated the meet. Running races, High jump and Long jump competitions were held category-wise and Relay race, Football, Throwball and Badminton matches were conducted House Wise.
School Youth Festival
Sarganjali -19, conducted on 8 and 16August 2019, was inaugurated by Prof. Bindu K Sanil, Assistant Professor, Govt. College, Ambalapuzha and category-wise competitions were conducted.
Days and festivals of national and regional significance, such as the Independence Day, Teachers’ Day, Onam and Christmas were celebrated, in order to instill patriotic sentiments and a spirit of secularism and fraternity among the students.
Merit Day programmes and Investiture Ceremony were held on 14/06/2019.
World Environmental Day was celebrated on 5June 2019 by planting and distributing saplings.
As part of Karshakadinam, vegetable seeds were distributed among students on 17 August 2019.
The school registered for the MalayalaManoramaNallapadam Project on 17/06/2019.
Reading Day activities were held on 19/06/2019.
World Yoga Day was celebrated on 21/06/2019.
World Music day was celebrated with a flash mob by students of Class XI.
Sramadan, a campus cleaning programme, was organized as part of Gandhi Jayanthi Celebrations on 5 October 2019.
Christmas Celebrations were held on 13h Dec 2019. His Grace Rt Rev Alexios Mar Eusebius Metropolitan, Auxillary Bishop of the Malankara Orthodox Church, Mavelikara Diocese, delivered the Christmas Message.
Celebration of the 150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi
In association with the Balajanasakhyam, the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, the Father of our Nation was celebrated. “Varakalil Mahatma”, wherein Gandhiji’slife as well as the major events in the history of the movement for Indian independence were portrayed through a series of paintings and caricatures, was held on 14 October 2019. The programme was led by Mr. Karthika Kattanam, the Vice-Chairman of Cartoon Academy and winner of the National Teachers’ Award.
The Kid’s Fest was inaugurated by Dr. Anil Mathew Philip, Consultant Physician, St. Thomas Mission Hospital, Kattanam on 29 November 2019. The children presented various creative programmes. They also enriched the Children’s Day Rally conducted on 14 November 2019, dressed up as Chacha Nehru and other national leaders.
We acknowledge with thanks the active and enthusiastic participation of our kids in almost all the activities of the School.
The Annual Day, conducted on 20 December 2019, was inaugurated by the serial artist, Sri. RayganRajan, and the keynote address was delivered by Sri. P S RamachandranPillai, General Secretary, State CBSE School Management Association. Entertainment programmes by students made the event colourful and impressive.
All these achievements were possible only through the blessings of the Lord Almighty. The ineffable contribution of our teaching and non-teaching staff and students are praiseworthy in this regard. None of this would have materialized without their hard work. I acknowledge with thanks the timely support and guidance rendered by the School Manager, Rev Sam T Paniker, Asst. Manager, Rev Rex Thomas Thomas, the School Secretary, Sri Thomas John, the Treasurer, Sri Mathew Oommen, the Academic Committee Convener, Prof. Dr. E V Mathew, the PTA President, Sri P M Johnson etc. We express our sincere gratitude to all those who rendered assistance to the School and also to everyone who either implicitly or explicitly contributed to the endeavor of this institution to attain high academic, cultural and moral standards.
Prof. Dr. LisyCherian (Principal)